Get well soon: a wellness boost with kale & pork pie!
Serves: 4, Prepare in: , Cook in:
As we're coming into that time of year where everyone seems to get the sniffles, we thought we'd share a wellness recipe for a bean and kale salad. Leafy greens are important to pack in when you're feeling under the weather because they're packed full of vitamins, minerals and fiber. Kale, romaine lettuce and spinach contain good sources of vitamin A, C, K and folate. Beans and lentils are also packed full of nutrients such as fiber, protein, minerals and vitamins and also taste great! Pair the salad with a pork pie to make sure it fills you up and gives you a bit of a treat when you feel less than peachy.
- 80g chopped kale – or romaine lettuce/ spinach if you prefer these leaves
- 100g dried brown lentils
- 100g black-eyed peas
- Sun dried tomatoes – we’d recommend 7 but really you can pop in however many you’d like
- 1 clove of garlic, pressed
- 1 finely chopped red chilli
- 120g olive oil
- 1 lemon (zest and juiced)
- Before you can get started with making the salad, you will have had to soak the beans and lentils for 8hours+
- You’ll need a jar with a lid for this one – so remember that when you’re recycling your old jars you should keep one for this purpose! Put your chilli and garlic in the jar and then add in the oil and lemon juice and zest (to taste) – shake the jar and allow all the ingredients to bond together.
- For the salad, it’s really quite easy. Just rinse all of your ingredients and put the lentils and beans in a pan of cold, unsalted water. Bring to the boil and vigorously boil for 10 mins. Then, reduce it to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes until tender. Drain and then rinse.
- Grab a different saucepan and warm the dressing on a low heat when your lentils and beans are almost done.
- You’ll need to now toss together the salad – don’t forget your tomatoes and the beans and lentils and drizzle your dressing over the top. We sometimes also add pine nuts here just for a bit more flavour and because they contain a good source of magnesium which helps boost energy and fight fatigue which is great when you’re poorly! They also contain anti-aging antioxidants and lots of nutrients. Adding small wellness additions such as this is a great way to slip in some more goodness!
- Whilst you’re making your salad, make sure you’re warming your pork pie up in the oven – why not try some cheese and pickle snack pork pies!
We hope you enjoy this recipe and start feeling better soon! Remember to customise this however you like with your favourite super foods! Remember to consult our pie locator if you’re wishing to find your nearest stockist for our delicious pork pies!