Our Yorkshire Pork Pie Television Debut - Night In Telly Night Recipes!
Serves: 6, Prepare in: , Cook in:
You may have seen by now - especially if you follow our social channels - that we're very excited for our TV debut all about our Yorkshire Pork Pies! On Tuesday 17th April at 9pm, you'll find us on the telly over on Channel 5 in a program called 'Made in Yorkshire.' As you may know - we're a very proud Yorkshire pork pie business, so being asked to be on this program was incredibly exciting for us and we can't wait for you to see it! We thought for this weeks recipe, we'd share our ideas for a night-in in front of the telly that we'll be having on the 17th as a mini-party to celebrate our TV debut!
Keeping it simple, we've gone for pork pies (of course!) grilled cheese sandwiches, loaded nachos and a homemade coleslaw to compliment every dish. Easy recipes that will give you the maximum time to enjoy the program without running out to heat up food is the trick here - more time to enjoy Yorkshire on TV and spend time with your friends.
For a grilled cheese sandwich with a dipping sauce:
- 12 slices of county bread
- Manchego cheese – 170g
- Apricot jam – 3 tbsp
- Sliced tomatoes – 18 slices
- Dijon mustard – 1 tbsp
For the coleslaw:
- 1 head of a green cabbage – finely shredded
- 2 large carrots – finely shredded
- 225g mayonnaise
- Sour cream – 2 tbsp
- Spanish onion grated – 2tbsp
- Sugar – 2 tbsp
- White vinegar – 2tbsp
- Dry mustard – 1 tbsp
- Celery salt – 2 tsp
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Loaded nachos with salsa:
- Olive oil – 2 tsp
- Fresh chorizo (without casing) – 340g
- Small onion, chopped
- Black beans (rinsed) – 1 can
- Bag of tortilla crisps
- 280g grated cheddar cheese (or your favourite cheese for nachos) – why not try fellow Yorkshire brand also showing on the program – Wensleydale Cheese
- Ice burg lettuce – shredded, 1/2 a head of a small lettuce
- 255g fresh salsa
- 1 chopped avocado
- Fresh cilantro
- Pickled Jalapenos
- Sour cream
For the grilled cheese:
- Grabbing two slices of bread, brush oil on one side of both slices before flipping them over and filling the inside with your grated cheese and tomatoes (here you could even add in some mushrooms, pickles, peppers etc.) then pop the bread together to form a sandwich with the oiled side of the bread facing outwards.
- In a large, non stick skillet, heat a drizzle of oil over a low to medium heat
- Once it’s sizzling, pop your sandwich in the skillet – depending on how big it is, you might be able to grill a few at a time which reduces overall cooking time
- Cover the pan with the lid and allow to cook until the bread is golden brown and the cheese has melted
- Remember to turn your grilled cheese and keep pressing down with a spatula to press it all together and give it those delicious grill marks
- Overall, it will take around 5 minutes either side but keep checking – depending on your heat and thickness of bread, it could take more or less time than this
- To create the dipping sauce, mix together the jam and dijon mustard – super simple and yet delicious to serve with your grilled cheese!
For your homemade creamy coleslaw:
- Toss together the shredded carrots and cabbage in a bowl
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients and add to the cabbage and carrots
- Mix thoroughly to combine and ensure an even distribution
- Season and serve!
For the loaded nachos:
- Preheat your oven to 165°C
- Grab a large rimmed baking tray and line it with grease-proof paper
- Heat a splash of oil in a frying pan and cook the chorizo, garlic and onion and cook for 6-8 mins – remember to cut your chorizo into chunks
- Spread the tortilla chips onto the grease-proof paper whilst you’re cooking your chorizo and once that’s cooked, pour onto the tortillas
- Sprinkle with a generous helping of grated cheese and bake until the cheese is melted and the chips are toasted, going a darker delicious brown
- Take out of the oven and still warm, top with lettuce, salsa, avocado, jalapenos, sour cream and salsa!
And there you have it! Three delicious recipes for creating a few platters to enjoy during a night in front of the telly! They’re all customisable – what do you like in your grilled cheese? Add pomegranates to your coleslaw for a pop of flavour or maybe you’d like a few different cheeses on your nachos! But let’s not forget the star of the show- our Yorkshire Pork Pies! Whilst you watch them having their moment onstage, you’ll want to be eating one too so which is your favourite? A mini cheese a pickle is always a crowd pleaser; adding flavour and are great for popping on a sharing platter due to it’s size. Since we want to mix up pies and make sure there’s quite the range depending on your guests favourites and those that go with everything else on the buffet. So whether a medium pork pie, lattice pork pie or a good old classic large pork pie with egg.
As an idea of what you can expect on the program, it will follow former deputy prime minister, John Prescott. He will be going behind the scenes in our factory and test kitchen with an all access pass to the Vale of Mowbray pork pie HQ! Along with a few other top Yorkshire producers, John is wanting to see how manufacturing is still thriving here in Yorkshire as we make some of the nations favourite foods. We’re really proud to have been chosen to be part of the program and can’t wait for you to all see it and have a look at how your favourite Yorkshire pork pies are made!
We hope you enjoy the program! Remember: Channel 5, 9pm on the 17th April ‘Made in Yorkshire’ – make sure to tune in and let us know your favourite part over on our Twitter channel!