Pancake Day Inspiration
Pancake day is a holiday that pretty much everyone looks forward to. Even though we don’t get a day off work, there’s nothing more fun that making a huge pile of pancakes and scoffing the lot. If you’re a little bored of the usual lemon and sugar combination and want to take your pancakes to the next level, read on for our top sweet and savoury topping inspiration.
5) At number 5 we have lashings of fruit jam – any flavour will do, but we love blueberry jam or even apricot. Perfect to make pancakes into a breakfast dish!
4) Next is a not-quite traditional mix of maple syrup and plain yoghurt. It’s sweet, with just a bit of tartness from the yoghurt. It feels almost healthy!
3) For a naughty-but-nice pancake topping, try chocolate, banana and peanut butter. It’s got fruit in it, so it must be good! If you’re not a fan of peanut butter, just go all out on the chocolate instead.
2) The runner up is simple and sweet – your favourite flavour of ice cream. As true Yorkshire folk, we have to recommend rhubarb ice cream. Trust us, it’s amazing.
Our favourite sweet topping has to be caramelised apples – it’s the perfect combination of tart and sweet and if you’re feeling really chef-y, shake some icing sugar over the top before you serve it!
5) For an incredibly posh pancake breakfast, try a slice of smoked salmon and a spoon of creme fraiche. It’s surprisingly light and – more importantly – absolutely delicious.
4) Ham and cheese are always a crowd-pleaser, which is why they’re on our favourites list. Any cheese will do, but we love a good gruyere.
3) If you have veggies in the house, why not use your pancakes as veggie wraps? Just fry off your favourite veg and add some spice mix, and voila – instant meal!
2) Our savoury runner-up makes the list because it’s so easy to make – red onion, goat’s cheese and a handful of spinach. Looks colourful, tastes great.
1) If you were wondering when bacon was going to make an appearance, it’s right here at number one. Our top savoury topping is of course bacon and scrambled egg – it’s so good you won’t want to save it for pancake day!