Our Top January Healthy Pork Pie Accompaniments
Serves: 4, Prepare in: , Cook in:
As we're coming to the final weeks of January, have you stuck to your healthy eating resolutions? It's never too late and let's not forget that healthy doesn't mean boring - so let's have a healthy pork pie. As part of a balanced diet, our pies are crafted with delicious seasoned pork and a hot water curt pastry case; full of protein and a nutritious addition to your diet.
If you're trying to eat healthier, just mix up the accompaniments you're opting for with the pie - our favourite currently is a corn salsa and a side salad. The salsa is full of veggies which we don't blend as really it's way too tasty to - why ruin the lovely veggies, it's a great way to get some of your five a day and the flavours really compliment our pork pies.
Note: the recipe requires no cooking but the salsa does require for it to be chilled in the fridge for an hour before serving so keep that in mind if you have friends round!
For the salsa:
- Two cans of Green Giant sweetcorn
- 1 can of white corn
- 2 fresh green chillies
- 1/2 can of sliced black olives (add more if you’d like!)
- 2 finely chopped tomatoes
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped – add less if you want a milder salsa
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp fresh cilantro – chopped
For the salad:
- Ice berg lettuce
- Rocket/ baby spinach
- Tomato, chopped
- Cucumber, chopped
- Carrot, grated
- Avocado, de-pipped and sliced
- Red pepper, sliced
To make the salsa:
- The making of this is pretty straight forward – make sure the tomatoes, jalapenos, scallions, olives and chillies are finely chopped
- Place all the veggies in a bowl and mix together
- Pour in the vinegar, olive oil and a 1/4 teaspoon of salt and make sure these are thoroughly mixed in and distributed throughout the salsa
- Chill in the fridge for an hour
- As you’re ready to serve, add in the cilantro
The salad is pretty straight forwards, just wash, chop and serve! We use the avocado and beetroot as our salad dressing, but if you’d like to add one in then just use your favourite! To go best with this, we’d go with a mini pork pie or a mini pork and pickle – perhaps even a cheese and pickle snack pork pie to really add in some different flavours!
There’s not much prep time with this one and zero cook time, so it’s a go-to for us this month when we’re adding a healthy spin to our pork pie. It’s a pretty simple switch to swap our mashed potato for the salad and salsa, but when the weathers so cold outside (as it is in Yorkshire right now!) it’s still a flavorsome and comforting recipe. But we’ll never stray too far from our beloved pie mash and peas!
As well as eating healthier, we’re also getting on the fitness bandwagon – here in Yorkshire we always get swept up in the craze of sports when the warmer weather comes around. With the Tour de Yorkshire racing through the county in only a matter of months, we all find ourselves on our bikes practicing the courses – for now, we’re inside a gym as it’s still snowing(!!) but soon we’ll be out in the countryside and we can’t wait!
What are your favourite sports you plan to do this year? In 2018, as well as attending some fabulous events that are planned – including the Tour de Yorkshire, Triathlons in Roundhay Park to Leeds and some Tough Mudder, Yorkshire Warrior and more!