It’s that time of the year again when your social feeds will be filled of friends in lederhosen – it’s Oktoberfest. The event is the world’s largest Volksfest and held annually in Munich, Bavaria, Germany. A 16-18 day festival, over 6 million people flock to Germany to attend every year. In 2013, 7.7 million litres of beer were served as huge beer tents are set up and people drink steins of alcohol. If you’re not making the trip to Oktoberfest this year, why not use our beer based recipes to make some delicious pork pie accompaniments to enjoy this weekend – lederhosen optional.
Best with: cheese and pickle snack pork pies
- 2 packs of soften cream cheese
- 80ml beer
- Ranch dressing mix – 1 packet
- Cheddar cheese – grated
- Beat together the cream cheese, beer and dressing mix until it’s smooth
- Stir in the grated cheese to taste and then sprinkle more on top if you so wish!
- Serve as a dip/sauce on the side of your fave pork pie! This beer dip always goes down a treat!
Beer Steamed Potatoes
Best with: Lattice pork pie
To serve 4, you’ll need:
- New red potatoes, cut in half – 450g
- Extra virgin oil – 1 tbsp
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Beer – 340ml
- Dried rosemary – 1 tsp – crushed between fingers
- Small chopped onion
- Minced clove of garlic
- Sea salt – pinch
- Heat the oil and butter in a skillet and saute the onion until it begins to turn translucent
- Add the rosemary and garlic and saute for an additional minute
- Add in the potatoes and pinch of salt
- Add in the beer and cover – simmering for 20-30 minutes – make sure you keep stirring the mixture so nothing sticks to the pan
- Keep checking the potatoes aren’t overcooking. You’ll know it’s ready when the beer has evaporated and left a delicious glaze on the potatoes
- Remove the lid towards the end of the cooking
- Remove from the pan and serve on the side of your fave pork pie – make sure you scrape all the herbs with the potatoes so your guests get the full flavour of the ingredients!
Beer infused honey coleslaw salad
Best with: a slice of grosvenor and egg pork pie
- 1 bag of coleslaw salad
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1/2 Chopped apple
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp wheat beer
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- Mix together the coleslaw, red pepper and apple
- In a separate bowl, whisk the olive oil, vinegar, beer and lemon zest together
- Pour this mixture over the coleslaw mix and add salt and pepper to taste and you’re done!
- Because you can scale this recipe up, it’s perfect for a party – make a large salad and slice up a grosvenor pork pie and you’re done! Our party guests always love this treat!
So there you have it – three recipes to serve with your pork pies! Make sure your pie is warmed through for more of a comfort food now we’re moving into the colder months! Also look to have some beer battered onion rings and grab yourself some ketchup for a weekend treat!
Remember to tweet us if you create one of our recipes – we’d love to hear from you!